Smithfield Farmers Market
- Located just off Main Street in historic Smithfield, Virginia (est. 1752!)
- Founded in 2004; features 50+ vendors and live music
- Open every Saturday (April-October) 9 AM-noon, with seasonal markets throughout the rest of the year
- Parking in three lots behind the Bank of Southside Virginia @ 115 Main Street in Smithfield; if there's no parking available there, the easiest place to park is the nice big (free) lot across Main Street from Smithfield Station. It's about 1/4 mile walk up main street to the market from there, past some really cool historic homes (pictured in the gallery, below). A word to wise pedestrians, no matter where you park: please watch out for cars, as Smithfield gets really packed on Saturday mornings, and there are not a whole lot of clearly-marked pedestrian crosswalks near the market.
- Offers local produce & meat/eggs, yummy eat & treats, flowers, lots of crafts, pet adoptions from the county animal shelter (love!), and more as part of Virginia Grown
- All vendors accept cash (please see: Ten Commandments of the Farmers Market, Rule #1); most accept checks; no information currently on what credit cards vendors take, if any
- Recommend to a friend? Absolutely. Great market, friendly people, with historic, small-town charm.
(Please click on any of the images below to enlarge and view as a slideshow)
From the top: my friend Maurice (on left) & son @ Big Daddy's Barbecue, phone (757) 817-7331--best BBQ around--; my garden gnome, Arthur, on a field trip, posing with beautiful flowers and local honey/chamomile blossoms from Chippokes Creek Farm--they also made up this beautiful custom bouquet for me; starfish wreath by a talented local artist; beautiful tomatoes and summer squash; and some of the many unique, historic homes lining Main Street in Smithfield.